Green Wall

IMG_0073

For our next project we worked on one of the green walls. We had to start out by deciding which modules we had to re-do since some had living plant material  that just needed to be moved or trimmed and the rest were dead. We had a lot of new plant material to work with for the modules being re-done. Bamboo, asian jasmine, phlox, shamrock, and juniper. Next, we had to decide which location of the wall would work for each plant since not all parts of the wall retained the same amount of water.  Not all parts of the wall were under the same climate conditions. The bottom part of the wall had the received less sunlight and retained the most water.  However, the top part of the wall received a lot more sunlight and later we realized the irrigation had not been placed correctly so it didn’t receive as much water.

To change the plants on each module we had to take them down from the wall and remove everything in them. We remove the plants form the modules and poured out the media. We then mixed that media with a scoop of compost and slow-release fertilizer. The first plant to be installed was juniper. At first it was a struggle getting the plant the module since it had a very large root system but after breaking it in half we were able to get it in the module and found an easier way to put the rest inside the module.  This required some teamwork since there were several steps to make sure the plants were placed correctly on the module to avoid them from falling out of the module.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Some of the plants only took one week to show the results of how they adapted to their new environment.  Three out of the four Junipers installed dried out even though they were not broken into half like the one that survived.  The Phlox seem to vary since a few dried out and some are still doing pretty well.  The Bamboo and Asian Jasmine are doing great and showed no signs of of stress after being transplanted to the modules, which could indicate that they’ll be successful on the wall.  The final step was to fix the irrigation since not each module was receiving the same amount of water.

In this project I learned about the importance of considering the plants environmental preferences when  it comes to coming up with a design.  We were able to get pretty early results on how some of these plants adapted but that might not necessarily mean that they won’t survive.  A lot of plants go through transplant stress before they completely adapt to their new environmental conditions.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s