The first project we worked on was the Rooftop Garden. We planted several different common crops in the existing modular system on the roof and wanted to see how they would grow. This project was overseen by the undergraduate team for the planting phase.
We planted Swiss Chard, Lettuce, Parsley, Tomatoes, and several other plants.
Modular Green Roof
The second project our team worked on was creating a new set of Modular Green Roof sections that we would test. We had three systems set up, all the systems were set up in the same plastic modules with the same materials, but we changed the amount of soil and gravel in each set of modules. One set had one inch of gravel in the tray, followed by some filter fabric, and filled with soil. Another set had three quarters inch of gravel in a tray followed by the filter fabric and filled with soil. The final set had only a half inch of gravel, the filter fabric, and topped off with soil. We set up these systems, watered in the soil, then continued on to the major project for the semester.
Modular Green Wall
This was the largest project of the semester. We worked on two Green Walls. One we replaced a portion of the wall, the other we replaced the entire wall. We dissembled the existing Green Wall and emptied out all of the waste material for two weeks. Then we prepared all of the modules for transplants, and transplanted the selected plants the next two weeks. After this we organized and put up all of the transplanted modules the final week to create our roof top Green Wall.