Green Wall Assembly

The first step to assemble the green wall was transplanting all of the plants into the green wall module systems.  This took the most time for us to complete.  To transplant we took put some soil in the module then we packed in the transplant plug and topped it off with more soil.  Then at the top row of each module we added some fertilizer pellets.  We only added them in the top row because the irrigation will run the fertilizer through the rest of the module.

After we finished transplanting all the modules we lined them up for assembly.  The plan was to create “drifts” of different plants to make the finished wall a coherent design.  After this we put the modules up, and finished the wall.

 

Green Wall Teardown

We started off taking all of the modules off of the existing wall and cleaning them out.  There were lots of cockroaches and spiders in the existing wall.  We found 10 cockroaches and more spiders than we could count.

After this we cleaned out all of the modules.  We placed all of the soil and organic matter into bins to reuse on the next green wall.  Then we washed out the modules and lined them up to be used in our transplants.

Green Roof Projects Overview

Projects

Rooftop Garden

The first project we worked on was the Rooftop Garden.  We planted several different common crops in the existing modular system on the roof and wanted to see how they would grow.  This project was overseen by the undergraduate team for the planting phase.

We planted Swiss Chard, Lettuce, Parsley, Tomatoes, and several other plants.

Modular Green Roof

The second project our team worked on was creating a new set of Modular Green Roof sections that we would test.  We had three systems set up, all the systems were set up in the same plastic modules with the same materials, but we changed the amount of soil and gravel in each set of modules.  One set had one inch of gravel in the tray, followed by some filter fabric, and filled with soil.  Another set had three quarters inch of gravel in a tray followed by the filter fabric and filled with soil.  The final set had only a half inch of gravel, the filter fabric, and topped off with soil.  We set up these systems, watered in the soil, then continued on to the major project for the semester.

Modular Green Wall

This was the largest project of the semester.  We worked on two Green Walls.  One we replaced a portion of the wall, the other we replaced the entire wall.  We dissembled the existing Green Wall and emptied out all of the waste material for two weeks. Then we prepared all of the modules for transplants, and transplanted the selected plants the next two weeks.  After this we organized and put up all of the transplanted modules the final week to create our roof top Green Wall.