For the fabric living wall, we just did slight changes. We removed the previous plants which are already gone and replaced with new species which may be more appropriate for the fabric living wall system. Most part of the system is going very well.
The system has its irrigation line on top of each row and the fabric can easily absorb water which is a good aspect for irrigation. Each fabric pocket can hold a plant. We need to carefully wrap the plants and give them enough soil for them to grow. The design is quite easy for planting.
Studies showed that living walls can bring thermal benefits and increase energy efficiency. Still, we need to find out the most appropriate species for living wall and create the best living environment for the plants. I think that’s the meaning of the attempts we are doing now. Hope all the effort we have made this year will show a great result in the next blooming season!!!
We also worked on living walls. First, we removed the old modules from the wall. We noticed that the old environment created a great living surroundings for small insects which increased the eco-biodiversity.
After taking all the modules off the wall, we cleaned them in prepared for new plants. We filled the module with soil(half volume of the module size) and planting the plants. After put fertilizer on top layers of each module, we filled the module with extra soil. At last, we settled 100 modules.
I learned about green roof technologies in the first year in TAMU, but I never got an opportunity to get myself involved in the practical learning. This is quite exciting that I can do some real green roof work this semester.
During the past weeks on green roof, we have been working on the removing old plants and setting up for new plants. We have been dealing with multiple types of green roof, including modular tray system and living walls.
When we were working on setting up the trays, we divided them into different groups based on different levels of water needs of plants we were going to plant. We poured gravels into the trays and used tape to control the height levels of the gravel layer, half inch or one inch. Then we put the filter fabric layer on top of the gravels and filled the trays with soil. Now we are ready to plant the plants!